Update: Trigger game

In recent weeks I’ve been working a lot on the Trigger game (Live page.) These update have included an overhaul of the style, addition of new pages, rewriting of the “Spy mode”, adding new particles, tweaking the graphics, and many more changes behind the scenes. The code was significantly refactored to make it easier to extend and understand, as now this has becomes a collaborative project. The game has been tested on a few schools and shown to be a good success with children (and adults) and it seems to have a bright future. I also added sounds, music, and a simple music player.

Screenshots

Updated event display
Updated event display
Showing the various modes (some in development) with a garish colour scheme.
Showing the various modes (some in development) with a garish colour scheme.
Updated Spy mode, analysing the data.
Updated Spy mode, analysing the data.

Update: Painter

Recently I wanted to make some pixel art for a mobile version of my website (which is very different to anything I’ve done before, and more confusing than I thought it would be.) To do that I decided to use the Painter tool (Live page) I’d written a few years ago. Unfortunately the tool no longer worked, for reasons that I’m still trying to debug. (Possible to cross-domain restrictions when using the full path, but more likely due to the limits of the GET request.) The old method used PHP to generate the image, and the HTML DOM to manage the editing, using an HTTP request when the image needed to be generated. It’s not hard to see why this is inefficient, so once the canvas became available I decided to transition from PHP to JavaScript and the canvas.

The painter, after a facelift and going from PHP to JavaScript.
The painter, after a facelift and going from PHP to JavaScript.

Given my previous experience with the canvas it didn’t take long to code up a new version of the painter, and the biggest challenge was extending the scope of the line paintbrush to create lines at any angles, not just vertical or horizontal. The updated look is more sleek and professional, the performance is better, and there are fewer failure modes. I’ve kept the legacy version for interest, but I have no plans on using that again. I am also considering adding two new featuers in the future: allowing the user to save their image to an online database, and allowing the user to upload an image so they can edit existing images pixel by pixel.